Thursday, February 6, 2014

Welcome To My Blog


I have been a mother for just over two years, and a Naturopathic Physician for almost six.  My blog will address the world of Naturopathic Medicine, raising healthy children, being a healthy woman, and mothering.  My practice is focused on pediatrics, adolescent care, and women’s health.

Naturopathic Physicians embrace the following principles:

First do no harm
Nature and the body have an innate healing power
Seek the cause of illness
Heal the whole person using individualized treatments
Teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine

In a nutshell, I treat each patient as an individual, and as a whole person rather than a set of symptoms or any given disease.  I address what I believe to be the cause of illness, and I seek to empower my patients to live healthful lives.  My primary tools include herbal medicine, nutrition (diet changes and nutritional supplements), exercise, hydrotherapy, physical medicine (Craniosacral Therapy and Visceral Manipulation) and homeopathy.  I am licensed to prescribe pharmaceuticals, and I use them when necessary.

Licensed as a primary care provider, I offer well child exams, well woman exams, sports physicals, lab studies, vaccines and vaccine education. 

My goal is to empower my patients and their parents to lead healthy lifestyles and prevent illness, or manage it as healthfully as possible if necessary. 

I graduated from Bastyr University, and then completed a two year residency at The Kids Clinic in North Seattle.  At the Kids Clinic, I became comfortable managing urgent acute matters as well as chronic health concerns.  Since graduation, I have completed the New England School of Homeopathy, and earned the Simkin Center's Certified Lactation Educator certificate.

I am starting a blog with the goal of educating and empowering more people than I can reach in my office.  Not everyone has access to Naturopathic Medicine, and not everyone can communicate with a Naturopathic Doctor every time they have a question or concern.  My hope is to increase awareness around healthier choices. 

The internet can be your best resource, and your worst enemy.  Chock full of misinformation and terrifying stories, it’s not the easiest place to find an accurate answer.  Your best bet is to stick to trusted sources whose writers are well qualified and experienced in their subject matter, and who stay up to date on research.  I hope to be one of those sources for you.


DISCLAIMER:  This blog should not be construed as medical advice.  I am looking to share knowledge that I have gained as a doctor, as a mother, and through life experience.  I hope to provide you information that you can use as a basis to ask questions of your or your child's doctor.  I am not looking to help you diagnose or treat on your own.  If you or your child are ill, please schedule a visit with your doctor.

Look for new blog posts every few weeks.  Welcome to my blog!

 

2 comments:

  1. Good going, Teresa. I'm so happy to see what you've been doing since you moved away from Austin. Good luck with your practice. I'll be sure to check in to see what new things you're blogging about. Your practice sounds wonderful. Much love from Austin. Patricia (Squish) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Patricia! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete